The Western Mass Recovery Learning Community has been working to promote and improve access to the Hearing Voices Movement and groups in the United States since 2009. Now, through collaborations with the Hearing Voices Network USA and other local groups, the RLC continues to offer a variety of meetings, networking opportunities and trainings.
The Hearing Voices approach offers a non-pathologizing, open way of understanding and supporting people through the experience of hearing voices. It assumes that hearing voices (as well as seeing visions and other sensory experiences) can be a normal part of human experience with a variety of meanings for people. Hearing Voices groups are widely available throughout the United Kingdom and many other countries and are just taking hold in the United States.
In this section, you will find:
- Information on local Hearing Voices Groups
- Links to find groups in other areas
- Upcoming networking opportunities for current group facilitators
- Current Hearing Voices trainings offered through the Western Mass RLC
- Information on how to bring a training to you
- Other related resources
with Caroline White and Marty Hadge
Holyoke Community College,
303 Homestead Ave, Holyoke, MA
3-Day Facilitator Training*: This training is intended for anyone (individuals who hear voices, people working in peer roles, providers, family members, etc.) who is interested in starting up and facilitating a Hearing Voices group in your area.
3-Hour Hearing Voices Overview*: This overview is intended for anyone who wants to better understand the Hearing Voices approach and the way that hearing voices groups work.
* Full-day or multi-day trainings are typically 7 to 8 hours per day. Training lengths and topics can be adjusted to meet the needs of specific groups, so please contact us to discuss details.
PRICING: Pricing is based on a sliding scale. Typically, the lowest end is intended for independent groups with no annual budget. Although we do not directly charge individual participants, some organizations choose to have registration fees to help defray their payment to us. All pricing includes any related trainer fees, meals for trainers, and supplies for up to 25 participants. It does NOT include travel (ground and/or airfare) and lodging. Any costs related to training sites or food provided to training participants are also at the expense of the host organization.
3-day Trainings - $2500.00 to $5800.00
3-hour Trainings - $300.00 to $650.00
- Northampton: A Hearing Voices group meets on Mondays from 3:30pm to 5pm at Windhorse Integrative Mental Health, 211 North Street (Co-sponsored by Windhorse and the RLC)
- Holyoke: A Hearing Voices group meets on Tuesdays from 4:30pm to 6pm at the RLC's Holyoke Center, 187 High Street, Suite 303
The best way to locate groups in other parts of the United States is to visit the Hearing Voices USA website Groups Section (click here).
Although not all groups are listed there yet, several are and more are being added all the time.
A phone-in networking group for existing and aspiring Hearing Voices group facilitators takes place each month on the first Friday, 3-4pm. Check out this page at the HVN-USA website (click here) for more information.
There are many great Hearing Voices resources out there. Some of the best of the best include:
- Hearing Voices USA
- Gail Hornstein's resource list on Hearing Voices and related topics
- 'Voices Matter' a short film on the Hearing Voices movement
- Intervoice, the on-line international community of for the Hearing Voices Movement